Man sentenced to two years for role in Dustin Boulet’s stabbing death

Written by admin on 22/07/2019 Categories: 苏州美甲美睫培训

SASKATOON – It was an emotional day in court for the family of Dustin Boulet as Estevan Fuenzalida, the man who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in his death, was given a two-year sentence.

In addition, Fuenzalida was given six-months for accessory after the fact and credited ten-and-half months for time served in remand.

Boulet was stabbed in Saskatoon on March 1 while out celebrating his 29th birthday.

苏州美甲美睫培训

Related

  • Manslaughter guilty plea in Dustin Boulet murder

  • Walk to End Knife Violence targets criminal code changes

    In handing down his decision, the judge stated the sentence has to be a deterrent to dissuade others from carrying a knife into a similar situation.

    “If Estevan didn’t have the knife, Dustin wouldn’t be dead,” stated the judge.

    Prior to sentencing, emotions ran high in the court room as victim impact statements were read.

    “Our bond was so strong and pure, I was stabbed when Dustin was stabbed,” read Boulet’s mother Christina.

    “The last vision of my son was Dustin being wheeled into surgery with blood coming out of his mouth.”

    It was a sentiment echoed by his father Glenn, who called himself broken and said his loving, beautiful wife also died the day their son did.

    Outside of court, Boulet’s parents expressed their displeasure with the sentence.

    “Justice was not served,” said Christina.“The judge went on and on and on because he had the stage and at the end of it, what did he get, 20 months?”Boulet’s father felt a longer sentence would have been more appropriate.“I would have been happy with five to seven years because I know he would have went to the penitentiary and he would have had time to deal with why all this lead to him being where he is and my son dead,” said Glenn.

    Fuenzalida apologized in court to the family for his involvement in the fatal stabbing.

    “If Mr. Dustin Boulet can hear me today I want to say I’m sorry your life got taken early,” said Fuenzalida.

    The Crown had been looking for a sentence of four to six years while the defence asked for a maximum of one year.

    A second man, Nathan Joseph, is charged with second-degree murder in Boulet’s death. He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 3 for case management.

Comments Off on Man sentenced to two years for role in Dustin Boulet’s stabbing death